Big Day Out 2013 may mark the last time the touring festival stops in on the Gold Coast. As reported by the Courier Mail, BDO’s current Gold Coat venue will be converted into an athletes’ village for the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
The decision by the Qld State Government to transform the Parklands showgrounds means that BDO must now look for a new venue. Although BDO and the State Government were in talks about finding a new location for the festival on the Gold Coast, BDO chief Adam Zammit has confessed that the festival is “as good as gone.”
Having been a yearly fixture on the Gold Coast since 1994, the BDO provided an annual boost to the local economy. Gold Coast promoter Billy Cross told the Courier Mail that BDO injected millions of dollars into the Gold Coast, with the event attracting approximately 40,000 festivalgoers each year.
Reportedly BDO was looking to relocate to Helensvale on the Gold Coast but was blocked by the State Government. Mr Zammit is now believed to be scouting other possible venues in Queensland and northern NSW.
- Big Day Out To Remain On Gold Coast After Locking In New Home For 2014
- Big Day Out Re-Launching In New Zealand For 2014
- Lollapalooza 2013 Line-up Confirmed – Nine Inch Nails, Mumford & Sons, QOTSA & More!
- Lollapalooza 2013 Line-up Leaked
- Victoria Police Seek Power To Deny Drug Offenders Entry To Music Festivals