Image for Controversy Rages Over Ernest Ranglin Bluesfest CancellationUPDATE: Ernest Ranglin says Peter Noble wants to "move on" from the events of the past week...

Controversy Rages Over Ernest Ranglin Bluesfest Cancellation

Written by Greg Moskovitch on October 16, 2013

Music agent Christian Georgiadis, from French agency Bacana, has responded to Byron Bay Bluesfest director Peter Noble‘s open letter, which the festival co-founder released yesterday, and in which he labeled Georgiadis “duplicitous, unethical, [and] self-serving.”

UPDATE: Byron Bay Bluesfest 2014 third lineup announcement has arrived – full details here!

Last week, Bluesfest organisers announced the egress of Jamaican music master Ernest Ranglin, who was to perform as part of the Jamaican Legends show featuring Sly & Robbie and Bitty McClean, and who organisers said dropped out of the festival to take “a bigger offer.”

Ranglin then responded to these claims by insisting he was not aware of any bookings made in Australia, saying “I was not asked to look at a contract.” Ranglin’s new agent Georgiadis meanwhile released a statement admonishing Bluesfest organisers for tarnishing Ranglin’s reputation.

In his open letter, Noble called Ranglin’s claims “a complete distortion of the truth” and explained that he had concrete evidence of Ranglin’s knowledge of the dates, including documents confirming the tour and correspondence between Bluesfest, Ranglin and his management.

Now Georgiadis has released a statement to both The Music Network and theMusic.com.au, in which he responds to Noble’s claim that he “acted to manipulate and sabotage the Australian tour.”

In his statement, Georgiadis labels Noble’s claim as “a wrong and misleading assumption which lacks of arguments and rather stands for a shady accusation.”

Georgiadis also defends his actions, saying “My company never aimed for nor dared to damage the reputation of Bluesfest. I understand the energy Bluesfest is investing in order to secure its outstanding reputation. However this should not happen, discrediting Ernest Ranglin or my agency.”

“I also consider this situation an untrustworthy and unfair campaign,” he continued. “Its public exposure seems unfounded and to a certain extend also ridiculous.” Readers can check out the full statement from Georgiadis below.

Meanwhile, theMusic.com.au are reporting that another, Australia-based party is attempting to secure an Australian Ranglin tour for next year, shopping the idea around to festivals and venues.

UPDATE: Joy Music Jamaica, who also claim to represent Ernest Ranglin, has contacted Music Feeds with a statement from Ranglin himself in an effort to put the matter to bed. They say Ranglin has contacted Peter Noble personally and the matter is now behind them:

“Upon contacting Peter Noble. He has decided to stop on the various releases and comments in my regard.”

I quote Mr. Peter Noble,

“Thanks for your letter – let’s now all move on”

Ernie Ranglin”

(Via theMusic.com.au)

Christian Georgiadis Response To Peter Noble

Having “manipulated” Mr Ranglin is a wrong and misleading assumption which lacks of arguments and rather stands for a shady accusation.

If Ernest Ranglin has decided to decline to perform Bluesfest as part of the Jamaican Legends project, then he must have had his good and own reasons. Furthermore I can assure that despite his age, Mr Ranglin is in excellent mental shape. Mr Ranglin is rather an experienced music professional and cannot be influenced.

My company is working with Ernest Ranglin since several years now and on a non-exclusive base. We are working with many great artists from all around the world and we have never booked more than a handful of headline shows for Ernest Ranglin per year. We have no power nor mandate to refuse to let Ranglin work nor did we have any good reason to do so since there was no conflict of dates.

Bacana is a serious booking agency since 15 years in the market. We have worked with festivals and venues all over the world. We are also huge fans of the Australian music scene hence we have worked and work with prestigious and reputable Australian artists. Bacana will attend for the 4th consecutive time AWME in Melbourne with the aim to encourage the exchange of both, music business and cultural dialogue between the continents.

My company never aimed for nor dared to damage the reputation of Bluesfest. I understand the energy Bluesfest is investing in order to secure its outstanding reputation. However this should not happen, discrediting Ernest Ranglin or my agency.

I also consider this situation an untrustworthy and unfair campaign. Its public exposure seems unfounded and to a certain extend also ridiculous.

With kind regards,

Christian Georgiadis

Join Music Feeds on Facebook

monitoring_string = "5ddc797c5ea15f4a20f5b456893873a5"