Bono‘s friend Julian Lennon – son of late The Beatles star John Lennon – has confirmed rumours that the U2 frontman’s eyesight is deteriorating.
Lennon made the comments to The Irish Daily Star, explaining why Bono is seen wearing his trademark glasses a bit more often than normal these days.
“Bono actually has a condition with his eyes. I don’t know the exact issue, but the brightness of the sun hurts them and it’s a deteriorating issue,” Lennon said.
Lennon said Bono’s history of wearing sunglasses as part of his appearance and dress sense had helped mask the problem significantly.
“It’s part of his image,” he said. “In some senses it was lucky but not really of course. Maybe it’s part of his process now and without the image he can’t be Bono.”
U2’s manager Paul McGuiness recently mentioned at the band’s staff Christmas party that fans could “certainly expect a new record” from the band in 2013. Triple M reported that the band have given the album a working title of 10 Reasons to Exist.
- Noel Gallagher Says Coldplay Will One-Up U2 And Hand-Deliver Their New Album
- Watch “U2 Minus 1″ Perform Their First, Probably Only, Gig
- How Jimmy Fallon Handled U2’s ‘Tonight Show’ Cancellation
- Bono In Need Of Surgery Following Bicycle Accident
- Foo Fighters’ Taylor Hawkins Says U2’s New Album “Sounds Like A Fart”
- U2’s Bono Explains Why He’s Always Wearing Sunglasses