ARIA Award winner Kimbra and Silverchair frontman Daniel Johns will be onstage as part of American composer Van Dyke Parks’ exclusive retrospective performance at Adelaide Festival. Kimbra and Johns will perform separately and as a duet along with Parks, playing songs that span his 50-year career.
“They [the songs] represent my 50-year span in music, as a skeptical enthusiast who’s reflected on America’s foibles and triumphs, in war and peace. Much of it is seen through a glass darkly, but with the illumination of some admittedly stunning orchestration. Think Roots music, gussied up for the Tux set,” stated Parks in a press release.
Parks has collaborated with Johns in the past, working together on the last two Silverchair albums. In regards to Kimbra, Parks states that he is looking forward to performing with the pop singer.
“Kimbra is as cool as a white-hot recording artist can be … I’m blown away by her carving out some precious time to celebrate my body of work at Adelaide Festival.”
The performance will also be accompanied by the Adelaide Art Orchestra. The Orchestra will be directed by Tim Sexton and will begin the evening by bringing to life orchestral arrangements created by Parks.
- Six Video Highlights From Triple J’s Beat The Drum Birthday Gig
- Daniel Johns Teases First Solo Release, ‘Aerial Love’, Coming Next Week
- Watch Daniel Johns Cover Nirvana’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ At triple j’s Beat The Drum
- Beat The Drum – Sydney, The Domain 16/01/15
- The Coachella 2015 Lineup Has Dropped, And It’s Topped By AC/DC
- Watch Kimbra Learn How To Eat A Cookie Like A Pro