Image for Megadeth Pull Out Of Soundwave, Cancel Australian Tour

Megadeth Pull Out Of Soundwave, Cancel Australian Tour

Written by Nastassia Baroni on February 10, 2014

UPDATE: Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine says the band is “still willing to play” Soundwave Festival – details here

Heavy metal legends Megadeth have announced they are pulling out of the upcoming Soundwave 2014 festival and cancelling all their Australian tour dates. Frontman Dave Mustaine took to the band’s Facebook page this morning to make the announcement, stressing that a recently reported feud with Jason Newsted was not a factor in the decision to pull out.

“Due to circumstances beyond its control, unfortunately Megadeth has to cancel their Australian dates,” reads the post. “Megadeth’s decision is unrelated to the fact that Jason Newsted is performing at Soundwave. Jason and I spoke recently and continue to be friends. – Dave Mustaine, Megadeth.”

Trouble surrounding Megadeth’s Soundwave appearance began last week when Soundwave officials announced that the thrash metal legends requested fellow band Newsted be removed from a triple Sidewaves bill, which also includes Danish band Volbeat. Festival promoter AJ Maddah also made comments via Twitter, claiming that Megadeth and Newsted had been feuding.

Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine denied reports that his band were responsible for taking Newsted off the Sidewaves bill, telling Facebook fans “this is all a huge misunderstanding.” Mustaine stressed, “I explained to Jason Newsted this morning. We didn’t put him on the show and we didn’t kick him off the show. He understands.” this was later confirmed by Megadeth tour manager Jim Carroccio to ABC News Radio.

Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah has remained adamant that Newsted were removed from the Sidewaves at Megadeth’s request. Asked by a Twitter follower about Mustaine’s comments, he said, “We were asked by Megadeth to remove him from Megadeth sideshow. No reason given.” Maddah had been making comments via Twitter over the weekend, alluding to “ridiculous” demands made by Soundwave artists threatening cancellation.

“Sometimes you have to take one on the chin for the fans and for the sake of preserving the show,” tweeted Maddah this morning. “I don’t like being asked to lie. Nor do I like being extorted. But at the same time I don’t want to lose an act off the festival. #dilemma,” he added. Megadeth’s cancellation announcement was posted just minutes later.

UPDATE: Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine says the band is “still willing to play” Soundwave Festival – details here

UPDATE 10:07am 10/02/14: AJ Maddah has confirmed via Twitter that due to Megadeth’s late-stage cancellation, so close to the festival dates, there is not enough time to book another headlining act. The promoter said he will fill the time void with longer sets by other acts and metal heavyweights Mastodon will now close the metal stage. Tweets added below.

Join Music Feeds on Facebook

More On Music Feeds

News

Tom DeLonge Is “Willing And Interested” In Rejoining Blink-182

Former Blink-182 guitarist and vocalist Tom DeLonge says he is “totally willing and interesting” in reuniting with his former bandmates Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker, reassuring fans that the longtime Blink lineup might actually have a future.

News

Tool’s New Album Isn’t Ready, But They ARE Selling These New Blankets

It’s been almost a decade since the last Tool album first graced our ears, and while fans continue to sit tight in anticipation of the group’s super-highly-anticipated next album, the band are selling USD$200 blankets made from recycled Tool shirts.

News

Lansdowne Hotel Announces Free ‘Last Call’ Farewell Festival

With its doors set to close for good in the coming weeks, Sydney’s Lansdowne Hotel is set to go out with a bang thanks to its newly-announced Last Call farewell festival, which will take place in just over a week’s time.

News

Sexual Acts Cause Outrage At New Zealand Pretty Ricky Concert

A performance by US hip hop outfit Pretty Ricky has caused controversy, with concertgoers in New Zealand reportedly demanding refunds after watching the group take part in what one witness has called a “live sex show” during their set.

News

Second Act Confirmed For Field Day 2016

Field Day‘s short list of confirmed 2016 artists has increased by one, with the addition of Michigan DJ and producer Seth Troxler, who will be heading down under for the festival in January.

News

5 Greatest Punk Rock Frontmen/Women With Frank Carter

Former Gallows frontman Frank Carter is known for being one of the ballsiest, most impressive punk rock frontmen of recent times and so to celebrate the release of the new album Blossom from Frank Carter + The Rattlesnakes we got the man himself to run us through who he thinks matches his stage prowess with .

Around the web

This May Also Interest You