A scathing review of US punk legends The Ramones has turned up in the July 1976 issue of UK weekly music newspaper Melody Maker…and guess who the author was?
It was a then-17-year-old young lad known as Steve Morrissey of Stretford, Manchester (aka frontman of The Smiths).
They believe that Morrissey loved The New York Dolls and Patti Smith but thought the Ramones were “a bumptious band of degenerate no-talents”.
On top of that, he reckons the band “make the Stooges sound like concertmasters,” and believes the only place for their “notoriously discordant music is the sweaty downtown Manhattan dives to which they are no doubt accustomed.”
Morrisey is touring Australia in Decemeber 2012, you can check out the tour dates here.
Morrissey’s review of The Ramones in 1976
- Morrissey Working On Novel And New Album
- Morrissey Compares Carnivores To Pedophiles
- Morrissey’s Relationship With A Man Cut From US Version Of ‘Autobiography’
- Morrissey: “I Am Humasexual”
- 10 Weakest Excuses For Last-Minute Gig Cancellations (And 1 Way To Do It Right)