A scathing review of US punk legends The Ramones has turned up in the July 1976 issue of UK weekly music newspaper Melody Maker…and guess who the author was?
It was a then-17-year-old young lad known as Steve Morrissey of Stretford, Manchester (aka frontman of The Smiths).
They believe that Morrissey loved The New York Dolls and Patti Smith but thought the Ramones were “a bumptious band of degenerate no-talents”.
On top of that, he reckons the band “make the Stooges sound like concertmasters,” and believes the only place for their “notoriously discordant music is the sweaty downtown Manhattan dives to which they are no doubt accustomed.”
Morrisey is touring Australia in Decemeber 2012, you can check out the tour dates here.
Morrissey’s review of The Ramones in 1976
- Johnny Rotten, Morrissey, Robert Smith And More Reimagined As Superheroes
- BBC Refuses To Play ‘Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead’ In Countdown
- Morrissey Surfs Atop Tsunami Of Anti-Thatcher Sentiment – “A Terror Without An Atom Of Humanity”
- Morrissey To Retire Due To Health Concerns?
- Morrissey Cancels Entire US Tour, Shows Won’t Be Rescheduled