And no, we didn’t forget to add ‘million’ to the heading. The great Paul McCartney performed at the London Opening Ceremony for almost nothing, willingly signing a deal for a cheeky £1.
He and others who performed on the night were well aware that they would be getting paid in scraps. With an approximate 1 billion people tuning in to hear your music, the publicity will pay for itself. It also shows that artists such as McCartney, Dizzy Rascal and Emeli Sande are willing to donate their time for the benefit of a much greater cause.
What’s even better is that according to NineMSN, Sande told The London Evening Standard that she is still yet to receive the payment:”I got paid a pound for my work. It’s there in print and I know because I signed the contract myself. Mind you, I haven’t received anything yet! When I do, though, that pound will be truly special.”
One Direction, Queen and the Spice Girls will have struck a similar deal with the IOC, as they, along with The Who and Take That have been slated to be performing at the Closing Ceremony. If you wanted to put together your own opening ceremony lineup, check out this list of leaked artist’s booking fees to see how much it would all cost.
- Watch Paul McCartney And Johnny Depp’s Half-Hour Improvised Jam Session
- Paul McCartney Is Scoring A Video Game
- Watch Paul McCartney Help A Fan Pop The Question Mid-Concert
- Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr To Perform Together At The Grammys
- Paul McCartney Says He’s Not Writing New Songs, Will Dip Into The Vault
- Paul McCartney Is The Inventor Of The Selfie And The Photobomb