Despite being on indefinite hiatus, Sonic Youth have announced a new live album that captures the band’s performance at Smart Bar in Chicago way back in 1985. The news comes from little known website Pitchfork (that’s a joke), who point out that Sonic Youth informed BBC Radio 5 that they’d be using this perhaps permanent downtime to dig through the archives and release live material and reissues.
The new live record is taken from a Sonic Youth tour in support of their second record Bad Moon Rising. The 14-song strong setlist was originally captured with the help of four-track tape on August 11, 1985, which the band mixed and mastered for proper release.
The live album comes with photographs and liner notes provided by mainstay Sonic Youth engineer Aaron Mullan and Matador co-owner Gerard Cosloy. A previously unreleased version of Kat ‘N’ Hat will also feature on the forthcoming live LP, due out November 14 via Sonic Youth’s label Goofin’ Records.
Sonic Youth – Smart Bar – Chicago 1985 – Setlist
02 Death Valley ’69
03 Intro/Brave Men Run (In My Family)
04 I Love Her All the Time
05 Ghost Bitch
06 I’m Insane
07 Kat ‘N’ Hat
08 Brother James
09 Kill Yr Idols
10 Secret Girl
12 The Burning Spear
13 Expressway to Yr Skull
14 Making the Nature Scene
- Thurston Moore’s Iconic Guitar Stolen From Motel
- Sonic Youth Reclaim Two Guitars Stolen In 1999
- Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth) 2012 Australian Tour Dates Announced
- Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore Joins Metal Band ‘Twilight’
- Listen: Chelsea Light Moving ‘Groovy and Linda’
- Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore Starts New Band