The Splendour In The Grass rumours started last week with Radiohead, however this was quickly shut down by the SITG organisers. Now we’ve decided to throw one out there, and it comes in the form of The Cure. Robert Smith and his band have just announced a run of European festival dates with more to come soon and there would definitely be time for the band to jet over to Australia late July for a headline set at Splendour. The industry word is that The Cure’s management have been speaking with Australian booking agents about possible 2012 shows.
The dates just announced include performances at Sweden’s Hultsfred Festival (14-16 June), Germany’s Southside (22-24 June) and Hurricane (22-24 June) Festivals. Additional European festival appearances will also be announced soon. SITG is usually held late July so this would leave room for a few more European dates and a trip Down Under for a headline gig.
The Cure were last in Australia for their performance at Sydney’s Vivid Festival where they played in full, Three Imaginary Boys, Seventeen Seconds and Faith. The shows sold out in minutes and received rave reviews. Considering they did not play a full run of tour dates, there is no reason why they couldn’t return to the country and sell out Splendour in 2012.
Let’s see if the SITG organisers rule them out tomorrow …
The Cure – Push Live @ Bestival 2011
Watch: The Cure – Lullaby
- Johnny Rotten, Morrissey, Robert Smith And More Reimagined As Superheroes
- Lollapalooza 2013 Line-up Confirmed – Nine Inch Nails, Mumford & Sons, QOTSA & More!
- Lollapalooza 2013 Line-up Leaked
- Fuji Rock 2013 Announce More Acts – The Cure, Skrillex, Jurassic 5 & More
- Foo Fighters, The Cure And Green Day Steal The Show At Reading And Leeds Festivals