100 Warm Tunas is a website devoted to predicting the winner of each year’s triple j Hottest 100. Sydney-based software engineer Nick Whyte is the person behind 100 Warm Tunas, which currently suggests The Wiggles’ Like A Version of Tame Impala’s ‘Elephant’ will claim top spot in this month’s countdown.
100 Warm Tunas correctly predicted Glass Animals’ ‘Heat Wave’ would come up trumps in last year’s countdown. In fact, the site named eight of the eventual top ten ahead of time. Though, Whyte was a few places off the exact ranking for the majority of the top ten – just #1 and #8 (The Jungle Giants’ ‘Send Me Ur Loving’) were on the money.
Whyte doesn’t simply read the tealeaves or observe triple j’s yearly playlists in making his predictions. Rather, 100 Warm Tunas’ list is formulated by an algorithm the 26-year-old software engineer created. The ABC reports that since launching in 2016, 100 Warm Tunas has been right about the countdown’s number one song 67% of the time.
So, who else does the algorithm fancy for 2022? Gang of Youths’ ‘the angel of 8th ave.’ sits at number two behind the Wiggles. Songs by The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber, Olivia Rodrigo and Spacey Jane round out the top five. Have a look at the complete 100 Warm Tunas top 10 (as of Wednesday, 12th January) below.
- The Wiggles – ‘Elephant [triple j Like A Version 2021]’
- Gang Of Youths – ‘the angel of 8th ave.’
- The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber – ‘Stay’
- Olivia Rodrigo – ‘good 4 u’
- Spacey Jane – ‘Lots Of Nothing’
- Doja Cat – ‘Kiss Me More [Ft. SZA]’
- Billie Eilish – ‘Happier Than Ever’
- RÜFÜS DU SOL – ‘On My Knees’
- Amyl And The Sniffers – ‘Hertz’
- Ball Park Music – ‘Sunscreen’