A topic of hot contention over the past few weeks has been Double J’s somewhat controversial decision to allow fans to revote the 1998 Hottest 100.
The revote comes at the 20th anniversary of the countdown, which has faced criticism in recent years for having the somewhat ‘gag’ song ‘Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)’ by The Offspring taking out the countdown.
A whole bunch of people have let their thoughts be known about this decision. Petitions have been started to make sure The Offspring hold on to their winning spot, while The Offspring themselves have campaigned for The Living End to relieve them of their throne.
Zan Rowe teased on Twitter earlier this morning that more than 65,000 people voted, and only 2 songs of the original top 10 have made it into this recount’s top 10. Rowe is counting down the top 10 from the revote on Double J from 10am.
Without further ado, here is your new, and potentially improved, top 10 songs of 1998!
10. The Dope Show – Marilyn Manson (originally placed #44)
9. No Shelter – Rage Against The Machine (originally placed #66)
8. Addicted To Bass – Josh Abrahams + Amiel Daemion (originally placed #16)
7. Intergalactic – Beastie Boys (originally placed #25)
6. The Unforgiven II – Metallica (originally placed #67)
5. I Think I’m Paranoid – Garbage (originally placed #57)
4. Whatareya? – TISM (originally placed #36)
3. Dragula – Rob Zombie (originally placed #75)
2. ! (The Song Formerly Known As) – Regurgitator (originally placed #6)
1. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) – The Offspring (originally placed #1)
If you’d like a refresher on what the original looked like, here you go:
10. Save The Day – The Living End
9. Heavy Heart – You Am I
8. The Day You Came – Powderfinger
7. Harpoon – Jebediah
6. ! (The Song Formerly Known As) – Regurgitator
5. Got The Life – Korn
4. Celebrity Skin – Hole
3. Girls Like That (Don’t Go For Guys Like Us) – Custard
2. Cigarettes Will Kill You – Ben Lee
1. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) – The Offspring