After 65,000+ votes, a whole bunch of surprises and even a few petitions, The Offspring have maintained their position at #1 on Double J’s 1998 Hottest 100 re-vote.
They were the only act that maintained their original place in the countdown, and were only one of two acts that managed to cling to their top 10 position. The only other act to do so was Regurgitator‘s ! (The Song Formerly Known As) which actually moved up four spots from #6 to #2.
The remainder of the top 10 featured songs that made massive jumps, the biggest of which was Rob Zombie’s Dragula which somehow managed to go from #75 to all the way to #3.
Interestingly, The Offspring didn’t even want The Offspring to hold on to the throne, as they publicly asked everyone to sling a vote to The Living End who didn’t manage to make this revamped top 10.
Silver medalists Regurgitator took to Twitter to thank fans for voting for ! and for still enjoying the song so much, two decades after its release.
— Regurgitator (@Regurgitators) February 5, 2019
For a quick recap, here’s the full top 10 of the revote:
10. The Dope Show – Marilyn Manson (originally placed #44)
9. No Shelter – Rage Against The Machine (originally placed #66)
8. Addicted To Bass – Josh Abrahams + Amiel Daemion (originally placed #16)
7. Intergalactic – Beastie Boys (originally placed #25)
6. The Unforgiven II – Metallica (originally placed #67)
5. I Think I’m Paranoid – Garbage (originally placed #57)
4. Whatareya? – TISM (originally placed #36)
3. Dragula – Rob Zombie (originally placed #75)
2. ! (The Song Formerly Known As) – Regurgitator (originally placed #6)
1. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) – The Offspring (originally placed #1)