Norwegian electronic duo Röyksopp have announced that their final album, appropriately titled The Inevitable End, will be released this November. It’s not all sad news for fans, though, with the Falls Festival-bound act also unveiling a brand new song, Skulls.
The Inevitable End will act as the follow-up to Röyksopp’s recent collaborative Do It Again EP with Swedish singer Robyn. Robyn will appear on two of the album’s tracks, including a rework of the Do It Again track Monument. Readers can check out the new video for the rework below.
“With The Inevitable End we’ve moved into a darker subject matter, with emphasis on the lyrical content,” said the duo in a statement on their official website. “This candid approach feels very both personal, sincere and conclusive. With this album it became clear we wanted to make an album in a classical sense even if it’s the last one we make. We feel like this is a goodbye to the traditional album format.”
Readers can check out the plodding, synth-driven Skulls below. The track captures the more enigmatic sound Röyksopp appear to be aiming for on The Inevitable End, employing affected vocals, which add a strange alien quality to the song, while maintaining the duo’s trademark icy dance vibe.
The Inevitable End will be the duo’s first full-length release since their 2010 album, Senior. As for their future, they’ve confirmed that they will continue to make music, just not in traditional ways. “We’re not going to stop making music, but the album format as such, this is the last thing from us,” they said.
“We’re always looking to push certain boundaries, but there’s something there that’s been there all the time and that binds it altogether, we’re not keen on repeating ourselves,” they added.
The Inevitable End is set for release in Australia on 7th November 2014, with an international release on 11th November. Röyksopp & Robyn will perform together at Falls Festival in December.
Listen: Röyksopp – Skulls
Watch: Röyksopp feat. Robyn – Monument (The Inevitable End Version)
The Inevitable End Tracklist
2. Monument ft. Robyn (T.I.E. Version)
3. Sordid Affair ft. Ryan James of Man Without Country
4. You Know I Have To Go ft. Jamie McDermott of the Irrepressibles
5. Save Me ft. Susanne Sundfør
6. I Had This Thing ft. Jamie McDermott of the Irrepressibles
7. Rong ft. Robyn
8. Here She Comes Again ft. Jamie McDermott of the Irrepressibles
9. Running to the Sea ft. Susanne Sundfør
10. Compulsion ft. Jamie McDermott of the Irrepressibles
11. Coup de Grace
12. Thank You
13. Do It Again (RYXP Version) (Bonus Track)
14. Goodnite Mr. Sweetheart (Bonus Track)
15. Caramel Afternoon (Bonus Track)
16. Oh No (Bonus Track)
17. Something In My Heart (Bonus Track)