With the Hottest 100 of 2017 just days away, triple j has teased listeners with some juicy statistics about the songs which have made it into this year’s countdown.
After announcing a record voter turnout yesterday, the station has crunched the numbers and discovered that this year’s countdown will feature:
- 65 Australian songs, one less than last year’s record-breaking total of 66
- 26 artists making their Hottest 100 debut (up from 23 last year)
- Songs from 10 different countries (including feature artists)
- Five songs which were discovered on triple j Unearthed
- And eight artists appearing in the Hottest 100 for a third time
Flume’s song ‘Never Be Like You’ took out the Hottest 100 of 2016, and vote-tracking Hottest 100 fiends ‘100 Warm Tunas’ and ‘The Bean Counter’s 100’ are both predicting Kendrick Lamar will win this year’s countdown at the time of writing.
Triple j recorded a 5.81 per cent year-on-year increase in the number of votes cast for the Hottest 100, despite some listeners’ calls for a boycott of the station over its decision to move its annual countdown away from 26th January.
The Hottest 100 of 2017 will take place this Saturday, 27th January, with the Hottest 200 to follow on Sunday, 28th January. Double J will also be replaying the 1997 Hottest 100 on Sunday.